Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Where do you share your photos online?


As promised, I’m finally sharing the results from my Online Photo Sharing survey. Hooah!
I conducted the survey through www.surveymonkey.com. Through their free plan, I was limited to 10 questions and one hundred responses. Today we’ll look briefly at the first question.
Question 1. Which of the following photo sharing/social media websites do you currently have an account with? (Check all that apply)


Additional responses (some responders listed multiple sites):
  • 500PX (3)
  • ArtSig
  • Ask.fm
  • Behance
  • Better Photo
  • Deviant Art
  • Fotofanatic (9)
  • iperrnity
  • largeformatphotography
  • MPix
  • MyShutterspace
  • Photo.net
  • PhotoSig
  • Pixoto
  • Redbubble
  • Tumblr (4)
  • ViewBug
  • Wordpress
  • None
  • others...
  • I think I probably have accounts with others, but I don't use them.
  • my own web site
  • a village web site
My first thought was, “Wow -- 97% of those who responded post their photos on Facebook.” Then I realized that I primarily promoted the survey through my Facebook contacts, meaning most of the responders were already Facebook users. The other sites with higher responses in this survey: Flickr, Google+, Instagram, Pinterest, Shutterfly, Snapfish and Twitter.
The next thing I noticed was how many photo sharing sites I had overlooked when preparing options for the question. Each of these sites has different sharing options, some strictly controlled while others are able to interact with each other. With millions of people sharing photos online, and the large number of avenues to share our photos, it’s easy to see how quickly we can lose track of even our own online images.
Another thought that jumped out to me is that some sites are solely focused on sharing photos, while a few of the others are also focused on the business of printing these images.
Okay, enough for today. Tomorrow I’ll look at the next couple of questions. Were there any other photo sharing sites I missed in the limited survey?

No comments:

Post a Comment